Wayne has recorded with the following bluegrass artists:
- Keith Arneson
- Mike Auldridge
- Bill Bryson
- Dennis Caplinger
- Ray Deaton
- Bill Emerson
- Jimmy Geaudreax
- Emory Lester
- Kip Martin
- John Moore
- Russell Moore
- Wyatt Rice
- Rickie Simpkins
- Ron Stewart
- Fred Travers
- Dan Tyminski
- Joe Wheatley
- Pat White
Wayne began playing guitar when he was nine years old. His father took him to American Legion dances and introduced him to the band's guitar player, who showed Wayne a few chords. At age 12, he joined his first band. He played rhythm guitar and sang backup with his brother David in "The Initials." The group played for high school dances and local gigs for four years. Wayne then formed his own group, the "Contours." The group played with Arthur Smith's "Cracker Jacks" on two occasions, as well as for local dances. They stayed together for three years. Later Wayne was inspired by Jimi Hendrix and the Beatles, and started playing rock music. He played in a rock band throughout high school at dances and concerts.
In 1971 Wayne and long time friend David Parker visited Marion, NC to see Lester Flatt and Mac Wiseman perform at a bluegrass festival. Shortly after that, he and David formed the "East Maiden Express" bluegrass group, where Wayne played mandolin. The group performed locally and traveled to Estes Park, Colorado, where they played for several months. The group had their final performance at the Union Grove Fiddler's Convention in 1973.
In 1974 Wayne joined the navy. His duty stations included Midway Island, the School of Music in Little Creek, VA, and the Seventh Fleet Band in Yokosuka, Japan on board the USS Oklahoma City. His travels carried him to Thailand, Korea, Philippines, Hong Kong, and to Mauritius Island.
In 1978 Wayne was honorably discharged from the Navy and began studying music at the San Joaquin Delta College and later entered The Conservatory of Music at the University of the Pacific in Stockton, CA. He studied Music Therapy, and earned a Bachelor's degree in Music. Upon graduating in 1983 Wayne and family traveled back to North Carolina.
In 1987 Wayne auditioned for the Navy Band "Country Current" and was accepted. Of his 25 years serving in the Navy, 21 of those were spent with "Country Current." He was the Emcee, Lead Vocalist, and guitarist for the first 13, before also becoming the band Leader for the remaining 8 years.
- Sang "Uncle Pen" with Bill Monroe in Rosine, KY 1995, Bill sang harmony
- Performed with Larry Gatlin, Vince Gill, Lee Greenwood, Rhonda Vincent, Alicia Nugent, IIIrd Tyme Out, John Hartford, Gary Morris, David Ball
- Conducted guitar workshops at Tacoma Washington with Kenny Smith, David Grier, and Bryan Sutton
- Performed for Presidents Ronald Reagan, George H. Bush, William J. Clinton, and George.W. Bush
- Performed for heads of state and other foreign dignitaries, including the King and Queen of Sweden 1991
- Performed in Beijing, China in 1989 for Chinese Dignitaries
- Performed in Halifax Nova Scotia for a Military Tattoo